Hopped on the Pitti Viaggi bus after breakfast, and headed to Siena where we were met by Barbara, our guide. From San Domenico cathedral, to the heart of Siena, we learned about this charming medieval walled city:
- Saint Catherine, patron Saint of Siena and Rome
- The role of the contradas in the city
- The Monte Dei Paschi bank and the pilgrim road
- Gothic, Renaissance and pre-baroque architecture
- The old hospital, recently turned into a museum
- The main cathedral and its lovely inlaid floors
- The Palio race, and more....
Lunch time in bustling Siena in various small groups, afternoon visit of major sites for those who wanted to soak in more history, and leisurely return to Florence by 5:30 p.m. Free evening in Florence to take in more of its beauty at sunset.